Welcome to the Shelter Division
The aim of the Division is to create a place where current and future shelter workers can get quality education, information, community and support, with the goal of improving the lives of those working in shelters, as well as the animals and adopters they serve. We're extremely proud to have Trish McMillan Loehr and Katenna Jones serving as co-Chairs of the division.
The Division will offer 3 levels of membership, with two designations:
- Supporting: Anyone can join
- Shelter Behavior Affiliate (SBA): Must pass an application requiring fundamental knowledge of shelter work and behavior/training. This is a designation, not a certification, just as Supporting is a designation.
- Certified Shelter Behavior Professional (CSBP): Very high level, in line with our other full certifications (This won't be available for about a year as we develop the application.)
A Shelter Library is being built and is available from within your user accounts. Shelter-focused handouts for professionals and clients, articles and videos will all be added on a continuing basis. Material from the library will be for distribution and public use for our members and their clients and organizations.
Shelters and Rescues may request the Shelter Discount by filling out an application with proof of their non-profit status. Once approved, each organization will be given a shelter-specific code, allowing discounts for IAABC membership. The shelter can then give out that code to as many employees and volunteers as they wish. Membership will thereafter belong to the individual, and go with them wherever they go. The Shelter Discount application is on the JOIN page here http://iaabc.org/join
Currency adjustments have been made for Canadian and Australian shelters.
Individuals may also join the Shelter Division, but no discount will be applied.
We will be inviting shelters and rescues with proof of non-profit status to join, and we encourage all of our members to do the same. The more support and community we can create, the more we can have a chance of bettering the situation for all! The Shelter Discount application is on the JOIN page here http://iaabc.org/join
Requirements for Shelter Behavior Affiliate Membership
- We recommend a minimum of 200 hours experience working in shelters or rescues. These hours are a guideline representative of the experience needed for successful completion of the application. We will not verify your hours, and passing the application if not dependent upon hours.
- Minimum high school diploma or GED.
- A working knowledge of learning theory, training and husbandry, with additional knowledge about animal management skills related to shelter work.
- Familiarity with dogs, cats, and other species if applicable
To apply for Shelter Behavior Affiliate Membership, you must:
- Provide three e-mailed letters of reference from shelter or rescue colleagues (may be from supervisor, veterinarian or other shelter staff and co-workers) within 60 days of starting the application.
- Pay an application fee, plus the first year of dues (welcome rates have no app fee). The difference in dues amount will be refunded if your application is not accepted and you are granted Supporting status. Dues are $75 annually after that for SBA
- Once your payment is received, you will have 60 days from the time payment is received to complete and submit your application.
The application will ask for:
- Descriptions and definitions of learning science and application (quadrants and techniques).
- Your approximate number of hours working in shelters and education (no requirement for specific hours)
- Completion of questions regarding learning, behavior, and techniques specific to shelter work.
The applicant must score 80% or greater on the application for Shelter Behavior Affiliate status. Please note that application fees are non-refundable.
One does not need to be a member of the Shelter Division to apply for SBA or CSBP status - anyone qualified can apply.
Shelter Behavior Affiliate members pay yearly dues of $75 USD (country currency adjustments are indicated in the shelter-specific discount codes) and are required to log a minimum of 36 continuing education units every three years to maintain SBA status.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
SBAs are required to receive a minimum of 36 CEUs every 3 years to maintain SBA status. These CEUs may be in any related discipline or field. The IAABC offers many free or discounted opportunities for CEUs, and shelter and training conferences, courses and other outlets also apply. Please see "CEU Policy" for more information.